Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Hospital Stay

To make a long story short, last Thursday while I was at work I started feeling symptoms of a UTI. Not fun at all! Over the course of my shift I began feeling so bad that I had to leave early. I called my doctor's office and they called me in and antibiotic. I went home and went straight to bed. Early morning Friday about 2am the pain got so bad that I called my doctor again and they told me it was okay to take phenazopyridine or what I like to call the "orange pee pill". So I made Christopher take me to Walmart to get some. Finally I got some relief and was able to sleep. Friday was much better. Then late Saturday afternoon I started feeling the bladder spasms again. They weren't too bad so I just kept taking my meds hoping that it would go away. Well, it didn't! At about 2am Sunday morning I was miserable and having the worst bladder spasms ever! My stomach was tight and I had to go the bathroom every 5 minutes or so just to sit there because nothing would come out. I knew something wasn't right. Knowing that infections that get bad enough can send you into pre-term labor, I freaked out and called my doctor again. I explained everything that had been going on and how I was feeling and she said that I needed to go to Labor and Delivery to be checked out. I walked out to the living room and told Chris that I needed to get to the hospital. He of course was playing PlayStation and was very much surprised at what I had just said. He jumped up and we left right away. On the way I told him what the doctor said and what to expect when we got there so he wouldn't be surprised. I could tell he was worried and I tried to keep him calm although inside I was freaking out too. We get there and luckily it was a slow night. They took me in a room and had me gown up, give a urine sample, hooked me up to the monitors, checked my cervix and got my info. It may sound like it all happened very quickly but actually after checking my cervix and hearing the baby's heart beat they took their time on everything else. Poor Christopher was pacing the room half asleep. It seemed like forever before I was in the computer system so that I could get some pain meds. By that time it was 5am and we ended up staying. My doctor wanted to monitor the baby and with the pain meds they gave I was in no condition to leave. Christopher finally listened to me and opened the not so comfortable chair and fell asleep. I was knocked out once I got the meds and was able to sleep really well. I was discharged around 10:30 after being cleared by my doctor. Needless to say it was an experience that I didn't want but I'm glad turned out okay. The good thing is, We don't need a tour of the unit now and I'm already in the system for when I return to have Baby! Let's just say that my Memorial Day weekend wasn't exactly what I'd call a fun one! But all is well with mom and baby and that's what matters! Hugs and Kisses to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment